How To Have A Stress Free House Move
24th January, 2017
For some moving house is in the top three most stressful life events. Many find it quite traumatic and leave the experience feeling thoroughly drained and washed out, hoping never to repeat it again. Poor organisation and factors beyond your control can contribute to the stress so here’s our guide on how to ensure you have a stress free house move.
Packing Items for a Stress Free House Move
We have a full guide on how to pack but in summary we suggest if funds will allow that you hire a skip or at least plan a few trips to the tip. As a general rule if it has been unused for five years you no longer need it. Have a clear out, clear out the clutter, it will not only make packing easier but unpacking at the other end will be less stressful too.
The Right Removal Man with a Van for a Stress Free House Move
If you have an apartment or a small house you could do the removals yourself while hiring a van. The trick is to make sure the van is big enough as until you start packing it’s impossible to know how much space you will need. Even removal men get it wrong sometimes and bring in an extra van for house removals. Bear in mind that if you are doing it the DIY way, you won’t be insured for breakages and you will have to lift everything yourself. There’s a little more information about this on our sister site, explaining the pros and cons of a DIY house move – read here.
Professional Removals for a Stress Free House Move
Professional removals can help eliminate a lot of stress. They can provide boxes, they will move everything without direction and they will be a lot quicker than a DIY home move. You can then use your time to unpack at the destination, making sure the beds are ready for nightfall. Removals in York are also completely insured. Here are some other things to check to make sure you get the most out of your removals in York.
- Book at least two weeks in advance – In rare circumstances removals in York may have a cancellation so you could book very close to your moving date however this is not guaranteed and the less time you have to prepare the more stress you’ll experience.
- Check for Discounts – Depending on the time of year a removals company in York may have discounts, always ask or have a look on the website.
- Label Boxes – It’s much easier for you and your removal company if you label boxes and furniture with their home destination. Put removable stickers on furniture and use permanent marker on boxes. This way your removal company will place them in the right rooms eliminating the need for you to carry heavy items around your new home.
- Make a List – Always make a list of items and then check it again at the other end. This will ensure you don’t leave anything behind.
- Leave the Kettle until Last- Many people arrive at their new home and have to hunt for the kettle, cups, milk and sugar to make a cuppa. Leave it until last to pack and take it with you in your own car. All removal companies love a cup of tea.
- Prepare Properly – read through our guide on this website and keep a thorough check on boxes, large items and item protection.